What is Sciatica? Sciatica is pain that travels along the path of the sciatic nerve that exits the lower spine and branches out to the hips and buttocks and down the back of each leg. This pain can be mild or an excruciating "electric shock" feeling. It is not a disease on its own but a symptom of another back pain condition. Both the original cause and sciatic nerve pain can be treated naturally and gently with our chiropractic care services.
You are most at risk of sciatica symptoms if you are older, overweight or diabetic. Ironically, it tends to affect people at opposite ends of the activity spectrum: those who do a lot of heavy lifting or twisting, and those who do a lot of sitting.
Typical sciatica symptoms are pain that travels from your lower back through the hips and buttocks and down the back of the leg. The pain is usually felt on only one side. Sciatic nerve pain can cause lower backache, hip pain and even tingling or numbness in the feet. You can experience leg pain and numbness at the same time.
Leg weakness is a sign the condition has progressed to a critical stage. If left untreated, sciatic nerve damage can cause permanent leg weakness and even affect the bowel or bladder.
It is caused by some irritation to the nerve root of the lower lumbar spine.
One cause is spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spinal canal in one of the lumbar vertebrae. This compression can be the result of excess bone that forms when spinal discs break down. The discs are spongy cushions between the vertebrae. They tend to get thinner and drier with age. This is also known as degenerative disc disease. A bulging or herniated disc can also pinch the sciatic nerve.
Sciatica Pain Treatment
Mild sciatica cases can be resolved with rest and prescribed physical therapy. For chronic and severe sciatic nerve symptoms, we offer chiropractic care and a wide range of other pain relief treatments, including:
- Class IV Laser Therapy
- Spinal Decompression
- Hako-Med Therapy
- Shock wave therapy
Our doctors have the skill and expertise to direct all-natural sciatica pain relief exactly where it’s needed.
If you or a loved one have sciatica in Miami, Hollywood, Miami Gardens, Hialeah, Coral Gables, or any city in Miami-Dade County, call us at (305) 705-0777 to schedule an appointment.
Symptoms of Sciatica That May Need Chiropractic Care
Sciatica can be extremely painful in some cases and is caused when pain runs through the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve is located in both legs and runs from the lower back through the buttocks and down through the legs. There are some common symptoms that sufferers of sciatic nerve pain may be feeling. They include:
- Lower Back Pain - While many people may feel lower back pain due to overexertion in that area or from poor posture, sciatica can be caused by different issues. A disc that has slipped or nerve damage in the lower back may be why someone is suffering from sciatica. A Miami sciatica chiropractor from Aventura Wellness & Rehab Center can help bring this pain down and bring you back to full function and form.
- Nerve Pain - Nerve pain may be felt by sufferers of sciatica. Some people have likened this feeling to be similar to an electric shock or a feeling similar to a burn. If you are dealing with nerve pain and believe it is due to sciatica then be sure to contact us today for assistance.
- Sensations of Burning - A burning sensation may be attributed to a nerve that is pinched. These nerves can be pinched in the lower back and other areas around the lower back. If you are suffering from a burning sensation or a pinched nerve then reach out to our clinic today to get the assistance and treatment you need to feel your greatest self again. Burning sensations and pinched nerves can cause a great deal of stress and anxiety for a person.
- Pain While Standing or Sitting - Putting pressure and stress on areas of the body while standing or sitting may result in worse symptoms of sciatica. These symptoms could see someone have strong pain in their legs, lower back, or buttocks. If you are having pain while standing or sitting in your lower back or upper leg region then this could be due to sciatica. Our clinic can help explain why this is happening and come up with a plan to release the tension and stress in those areas and get you back to feeling better.
- Numbness in body parts like feet and legs - Numbness may happen after someone sits for too long, stands for too long, or even after waking up from sleep. Your Miami sciatica chiropractor can explain more about this symptom when you speak with them. Reach out to our clinic today to get the assistance you need with your pain and aches from sciatica.
Assistance is There
Our sciatica chiropractor Miami, FL residents trust specializes in treating patients with sciatica with our chiropractic care. With our skill and experience, we believe we are the right clinic to get you back to feeling great again. Don’t let the day become even more burdensome with your aches and pains, contact us at Aventura Wellness & Rehab Center today for assistance with your symptoms that may be a result of sciatica.